Currently, Building Regulations state that all local authorities need to be informed when any heating appliance is installed in a property. This can be done by Gas Safe registered engineers and you should receive a certificate in the post within a few working days of your appliance being installed. These rules don’t just apply to homes but also to businesses and commercial properties. It isn’t just a new boiler that requires a gas safety certificate, but any boiler or heating appliance that you have installed.

But what if you want to sell your home and you can’t find your boiler certificate? Is it possible to get a replacement? We answer these questions and more in this helpful post on boiler certificates and records.

What is a boiler certificate?

A boiler certificate provides confirmation that your appliance was installed by a suitably qualified heating engineer. You should receive your copy in the post a few days after the boiler was installed. This certificate will need to be kept in a safe place. If you lose it, you may be able to order a replacement for a small fee.

It’s important to note that a boiler certificate and a Gas Safety record are two different things. Your certificate states that your boiler was installed by a Gas Safe engineer and that it has been registered with the local authority according to building regulations. In contrast, the record should be updated each time you have a service to state when it was completed and by whom.

As a homeowner, it isn’t a legal requirement to have a Gas Safety record, however we do advise that all of your gas appliances are checked and serviced every year by a suitably qualified engineer. This could help to prevent accidental carbon monoxide poisoning and ensure that your boiler continues to perform as economically as possible.

If you’re a landlord, you’ll need to keep your records up to date. Landlords must have a gas safety check carried out annually. After the check, a certificate should be issued to state that the appliance has been tested and is safe. This test shouldn’t just be completed on a boiler, but on every gas appliance in the property, including gas cookers. Once the check is over, the engineer should provide a record that shows:

  • Which appliances were tested
  • The results of each check
  • Any issues that were found
  • Any future work that needs to be carried out
  • Details about the engineer (their name, signature and date of the test)
  • The property’s address and the name of the landlord

The record should be passed on to the property’s tenant instead of being kept by the landlord. It must be provided within 28 days of the safety check. 

Do you need a boiler certificate to sell a house?

If you want to sell your house but you can’t find your boiler certificate, don’t panic. It isn’t a legal requirement to provide a Gas Safety certificate when you sell the property. However, you may run into issues if the potential buyer requests a copy of the certificate. They may even choose to pull out of the sale if one isn’t provided. While this is unlikely, you may want to get a replacement gas certificate just in case. Continue reading to find out how to get a replacement.

As a landlord, if you’re renting the property out, you will need to provide a certificate that’s dated within the last 12 months. This is a regulation under the Gas Safety Regulations 1998.

How to get a gas safety certificate

You will be able to obtain a gas safety certificate by booking an appointment with a Gas Safe registered engineer. These engineers have been approved by the Gas Safe Register and can legally carry out the kind of work that is required. You should check the engineer’s ID card to ensure that they are Gas Safe registered, otherwise the work that they do may not be legal. You can also check that your engineer is fully registered on the Gas Safe Lookup facility.

Once the appliance(s) has been checked and deemed legally safe, the engineer will be able to arrange to have a certificate sent out to you in the post.

Once you have the certificate, either keep it in a safe place or pass it on to your tenants.

If you require a gas safety certificate, you can contact a Gas Safe registered engineer who may be able to assist with your query.

Find the perfect heating system for your home

Share this article

Share this article

Looking for a new heating system?

Get your free quote from a local installer

Most read articles
Latest topics

Which heating system is the best for you?